Friday, May 3, 2013

Race Day Post

Spring Fling Diva Dash

Sunday 4/28: Before I did my Insanity workout today I had a little race to run!  I ran in the Spring Fling Diva Dash 5K in Rochester which supports Ovarian Cancer research.  It's an all women's race.  The weather was PERFECT!  

I was up early, had a little breakfast and was out the door, only to quickly return because I had forgotten my Garmin.  I have fears about running without that puppy.  She's like my best running friend.  We run everywhere  together!  So a quick turn around to get her and I was off.  Well fast forward two minutes and I look at her (I should probably name the Garmin!) and it won't turn on!  WHAT?  This has never happened.  Well it turns out after hours of stressing and trying to figure out how to turn it on that the battery was actually dead.  So disappointment sets in when I realize I wouldn't be running with her.  But that's ok, because I have RunKeeper on my phone which will pace me throughout the race, or so I thought!  

I set off running and the RunKeeper chimed in to tell me my pace, but not into my earbuds, but instead out loud, so everyone running by me could hear it.  And to make matters worse then my music would not play into my ear buds.  No one wants to hear my crazy weird selection of music nor do they want to hear my RunKeeper update me every couple minutes.  I decided at that point that I just needed to turn off the electronic devices.  Insert super sad face here!  So, my next best option to stay motivated, I picked a girl that looked to be running at a comfortable pace and I got behind her.  I could tell I was running a little faster than usual, but it felt good so I kept going.  When I crossed the finish line the clock read 27:20....WHAT?!!!  That would be my fastest race ever!    My official time ended up being 27:15 which is an 8:47 pace.  YIKES!  Blew myself out of the water on that one.  I still can't believe it!  I guess it just goes to show that I don't always need my Garmin or music to rock my run :)  

Next race: Stay out of the Sun Run on May 17th.  I've signed up for the 10K for this one.  This race supports Skin Cancer research which is something that is near and dear to my heart as my dad passed away from skin cancer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment