Thursday, November 3, 2016

The Story of Halloween


It’s quite literally the biggest candy day of the year.  I love Halloween.  I love the dang candy.  Those Reese’s Pumpkins, the White Chocolate Kit Kats that are colored orange, Almond Joys, and Snickers.  Oh and candy corn.  Lord knows I love the candy corn.  And in my mad craziness (3 weeks ago) I decided that doing the Whole 30 over Halloween was a good idea. 




WHAT WAS I THINKING?

Well it turns out that I knew myself better than I thought I did.  I knew in the back of my head (way back there, where all of those super powerful thoughts reside, like the thoughts that you could run a marathon, finish a triathlon and go to Grad school while working full time and raising a toddler and new baby reside.) that it could be done.  

And so I did it.  I didn't eat any candy on Halloween! How you ask?  I have absolutely no frickin’ idea!  I just did it.  I set my intentions.  I told myself I was worth not eating crap for 30 days, which included not eating candy crap at Halloween.  Let’s not kid ourselves, that stuff is CRAP.  It does nothing good for our bodies.  Sure it tastes good, because it’s been made in a factory where it’s been plumped full of crap that tricks us into thinking it is the best thing ever.  It’s not!  Ok, I’m hopping off my soap box now.  This Whole30 has made me feel pretty dang powerful!  Watch out world!  And I kept thinking about something I read early on in this journey.  See below!  And I keep telling myself this.  And it's working!

And the best part about this Halloween is that my head wasn't congested with overwhelming thoughts of candy.  In the past years it was all about finding the best candy in my kids bags, eating tons of it between houses, then spending the next two weeks eating 10-15 pieces a day between home and work.  And then spending every night feeling bad because I ate the equivalent of 3 candy bars that day.  And if you know me you know I would never ever ever buy a candy bar, EVER!  

And this year was so different.  I thought I was going to be sad about the no candy.  (I know, this is odd!)  But I wasn't.  I was happy!  And proud that I treated my body so well.  

Ok, now time for the honesty.  I put some candy in the freezer!  Because I do like it!  And I do think that there is a time and place for candy, in moderation.  So when this journey is over, I may enjoy a piece.  Or maybe not.  Maybe it will get lost in the freezer with that bag of broccoli from 2 years ago. (Is that still good?!)   I'll assess the candy situation when the time comes.  

What could you do if you set your mind to it?

What could you do if you stopped making excuses?

What are you capable of?

Think about it........

No comments:

Post a Comment