Monday, February 8, 2016

Super Bowl Success!

Good Monday morning folks!

I am happy to report that we (Brian and I) survived the Super Bowl with all compliant treats...I repeat....ALL healthy, sugar free, cream cheese free, nacho free, little weenie free snacks!  Take a look below.  You'll see what the kiddos had and what we had.


Each year we have a picnic in our living room and the kiddos get to choose whatever foods they like.  ANYTHING!  This year the boys did the picking and chose the following.

  • Little weenies (cheese filled even!). With a special request for tooth picks to eat them with!
  • Velveeta macaroni and cheese.  Only the best!
  • Mixed fruit (this was Hunter's pick...this kid LOVES his mixed fruit!).
  • Little cupcakes.
Typically Brian and I would just eat what the kids eat, plus maybe an extra dip.  Like a delicious cream cheese buffalo chicken dip....Mmmmm!  Can you tell I'm still missing some foods?!  Well, since Brian and I are challenge ourselves for eight weeks, our Super Bowl spread looked a little like this.
  • Cauliflower bread sticks. These are actually amazing and I will keep making these even after the challenge.
  • Homemade meatballs.  Also VERY good.
  • Homemade veggie dip with sweet potato chips. Brian had fresh salsa with his chips.
  • Brownies...healthy, compliant brownies of course.  They look SOOOO GOOD, but don't taste quite like they look.  They aren't bad, but they aren't brownies...if you know what I mean.  Each time I have one I enjoy it a little more.  It's an acquired taste, that's for sure!
And I'm happy to report that our grown up food was just as good, if not BETTER than the kids.  I felt very content and proud of myself for not indulging this weekend.  

Fact: I tried to get Brian to order pizza with me, but he just wouldn't budge!  

People have been asking....is there anything that you've been craving?  Why yes, yes there is...
  • cereal with REALLY cold milk.
  • A glass of milk.
  • Cheese.
That's about it right now, which is good!  Oddly enough I'm not craving sugary crap!  Whoop, Whoop!!

Last week was HARD!  It was hard because of my own stuff I had going on.  I had 10,000 excuses for why I shouldn't be doing the challenge.  I kind of took me back to week 1 where I was blaming the challenge for my sugar cravings.  I'm a training clinical counselor....I knew what was happening.  I tried to outwit and outsmart myself....didn't work!  The challenge isn't bad, it's actually a pretty darn good approach to a mind/body shift.  It's really getting me to step outside of my comfort zone (which is HARD!).  Will it be a complete lifestyle change for me?  It could be.  It is really making me think about my food choices, fueling my body, not just with food, but with positive energy.  So last week, I wanted to give up.  But, the people who support me, love me and know why I'm doing this encouraged me to dig a little deeper, re-look at my why for joining the challenge and step it up.  Some close friends reminded me that there is growth in the struggle, there are learning moments in the weaknesses.  To give up because it was hard and because it was a struggle would not be me.  It's not my style.  I'm here to learn about me, about others, about why we chose the battles we do.  Life is going to be a struggle.  And that is OK!  So watch out....I'm back!  And I'm fired up!


No comments:

Post a Comment